From La Fuji Mama
Medium Rich Pie Crust
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
ice water, as needed
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in half the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cut in the remaining shortening until the mixture is the size of peas.
2. Add ice water a little at a time, toss gently and push to the side of the bowl. Repeat until all the flour is moistened. Knead the pastry lightly with fingertips until the pastry cleans the bowl. Form pastry into 2 flat rounds, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
Grind, measure and mix together:
1 1/2 cup raw potatoes
1 cup raw carrots
1/2 cup raw turnips
3/4 cup raw onions1
1/2 lbs. hamburger
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Assembling the pasties:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Pat out 1 round of pastry on a lightly floured surface, then use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out dough into a rough 11-inch square about 1/8-inch thick. (It does not have to be perfect!) Using a knife cut the dough into 4 pieces.
3. Place a scoop of the filling (1/8th of the mixture) in the center of each of the 4 pieces. Pull the sides of the pastry up around the filling and pinch on top, forming a ball. Prick tops to allow steam to escape.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with second round of pastry. Place pasties on baking sheets and bake in oven for one hour. Serve with ketchup, chili sauce or gravy.